Two of Box Scorn’s finest get their Mel Kiper on. Hair gel anyone?
1. Indianapolis Colts – Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford<
- If you’re going to blow everything up, going with a guy named “Luck” is a good place to start. Oh, and I guess he’s pretty solid on the field, too.
2. Washington Redskins – Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
3. Minnesota Vikings – Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
- I understand it’d be better to protect their walking-concussion, quarterback Christian Ponder, but having to deal with Rodgers, Cutler and Stafford six times a season warrants some secondary help.
4. Cleveland Browns – Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Matt Kalil, OT, USC
- The Bucs could use any of these top five guys — and Justin Blackmon would fit here as well — but they’ll either be able to build a fat-man fortress around Josh Freeman or sell the chance to get Kalil for
6. St. Louis Rams – Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
7. Jacksonville Jaguars – Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
- :An ecstatic Maurice Jones-Drew runs out and buys a round of beers for every Jaguars fan in Florida … Blaine Gabbert comes out of hiding for the first time since January:
8. Miami Dolphins – Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
9. Carolina Panthers – Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
- Cam Newton legitimately performed a miracle on Steve Smith’s career last year. Imagine what that offense would look like with a big receiver like Floyd on the other side?
10. Buffalo Bills – Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
11. Kansas City Chiefs – David DeCastro, G, Stanford
- You know what the Chiefs really need? A real quarterback, but that’s not happening, so why not replace future Hall of Famer Brian Waters with someone who an protect what you’ve got behind center now.
12. Seattle Seahawks – Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
13. Arizona Cardinals – Reily Reiff, T, Iowa
- Doesn’t matter who’s behind center, you’ve got to find some way to protect them and Reiff’s got the kind of top-10 pedigree that you don’t pass up at this point.
14. Dallas Cowboys – Mark Barron, SS, Alabama
15. Philadelphia Eagles – Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
- A serious team to watch for this year, the Eagles are just adding to their defense piece by piece this off season and Brockers gives them a 2-for-1 on the defensive line.
16. New York Jets – Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama
17. Cincinnati Bengals – Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
- Making a Bengals and character concern joke here would be really easy, so I’m going to say it’d be really fun to sit with Jenkins and Jerome Simpson as they watch Family Guy and eat pot brownies.
18. San Diego Chargers – Shea McClellin, DE, Boise State
19. Chicago Bears – Whiney Mercilus, DE, North Carolina
- He’s a one-year wonder, and he’s not really a defensive end or linebacker, but the Bears can afford to take the best player available if they so choose.
20. Tennessee Titans – Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
21. Cincinnati Bengals – Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
- This much talent and athleticism in a body like his are too much too pass up. He’s got guys in front of him, so he can sit for a year or so and be unleashed in the future.
22. Cleveland Browns – Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
23. Detroit Lions – Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
- Perfect fit. Team needs a corner back, the top available falls into their lap. He’s a little like Chris Houston 2.0, and that’s definitely an upgrade over the combination of Aaron Berry and Alphonso Smith.
24. Pittsburgh Steelers – Nick Perry, OLB, Southern California
- The Steelers pick in basically the same position every year, and every year they basically come out of the draft with a legit piece on their defense. Perry is that guy now.
25. Denver Broncos – Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
- They SHOULD address their defensive line, but think about their new toy, Peyton Manning. Yeah, they have some weapons, but a hybrid tight end like Fleener will be money from the start with Manning.
26. Houston Texans – Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
27. New England Patriots – Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse
- Jones is relatively delicate, but when he isn’t a broken toy, he’s one of those toys they have to recall because he hurts everyone. Think Cliff Avril 2.0.
28. Green Bay Packers – Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
29. Baltimore Ravens – Dont’a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
- Talk about the perfect fit. Ray Lewis is still alive and kicking, but he’s slowing down. Hightower can help now in a 2008 Bart Scott kind of way. CAN’T WAIT!
30. San Francisco 49ers – Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia
31. New England Patriots – Amini Silatolu, G/T, Midwestern State
- Silatolu because I like Division II football — do you really think the Patriots are going to keep this baby?
32. New York Giants – Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
Guys you know
Kirk Cousins – 2nd round
Mike Martin – 3rd round
Vontaze Burifict – 7th round
Kellen Moore- 7th round
Brandon Weeden- 1st round
1. Indianapolis Colts- Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Washington Redskins- Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
- I love this kid. Olympic Sprinter, Masters Degree, Funny, Smart, and Athletic. He will fit in great off loading to Chris Cooley and Fred Davis. Oh, he’s also my friend on Facebook.
3. Minnesota Vikings- Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
4. Cleveland Browns- Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
- The Browns need to get some help for weeny-arm Colt McCoy, and here is their chance to do it. Do they go run or pass? I think Montario Hardesty can be serviceable so they take Calvin Johnson lite.
5. Tampa Bay Bucs- Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
6. St. Louis Rams- Matt Kalil, OT, Southern California
- They need to try to protect their investment in Sam Bradford. Jason Smith from Baylor hasn’t worked out due to injuries. I say Kalil is the next Joe Tomas.
7. Jacksonville Jaguars- Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
8. Miami Dolphins- Mark Barron, S, Alabama
- Everyone is saying Tannehill goes here, I don’t see it. Dolphins improve their secondary and help out Vonte Davis.
9. Carolina Panthers- Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
10. Buffalo Bills- Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
- Ryan Fitzpatrick may be an Ivy league boy, but that won’t help him if he is laying on his back. Bills focused on defense in free agency brining in Mario Williams, they go O-Line here.
11. Kansas City Chiefs- Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
12. Seattle Seahawks- Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
- I like Coples a lot, and Pete Carroll really needs to divert attention away from the fact he has been collecting mediocre QBs for the past couple of years.
13. Arizona Cardinals- Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
14. Dallas Cowboys- Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
- The Cowboys need secondary help. Romo is probably at the peak of his career, they need to complete their team in order to win while he is still there.
15. Philidelphia Eagles- Dont’a Hightower, LB, Alabama
16. New York Jets- Shea Mcclellin, LB, Boise State
- To distract everyone from the QB circus, why not make a safe pick with a solid linebacker. I don’t think anyone has ever been mad when their team took a LB in the first round, especially not in New York.
17. Cincinnati Bengals- David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
18. San Diego Chargers- Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
- Lots of things wrong in San Diego, Ingram is a steal this late. Looking for them to improve their pass rush and run defense.
19. Chicago Bears- Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
20. Tennessee Titans- Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse
- I think the Titans can develop this guy like they have so many other defensive players before.
21. Cincinnati Bengals- Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
22. Cleveland Browns- Ryan Tennehill, QB, Texas A&M
- Oops…looks like they re-think crowning Colt McCoy their savior when they can pick up a potential top 10 pick at 22 (See Quinn, Brady). A QB controversy will be brewing in Cleveland, folks.
23. Detroit Lions- Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia
24. Pittsburgh Steelers- Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
- The Steelers need a backup plan just in case Mike Wallace skips town. They don’t want Antonio Brown and Heath Miller to be their top receiving options in the near future.
25. Denver Broncos- Courtney Upshaw, DE, Alabama
26. Houston Texans- Nick Perry, DE, Southern California
- The Texans will look to replace Mario Williams on the line after he bolted in free agency…not sure how successful they will be.
27. New England Patriots- Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame
28. Green Bay Packers- Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
- Ahman Green is not walking through that door folks. Ryan Grant looks to be a thing of the past and Aaron Rodgers can only shoulder the entire load for so long before he starts to break down. Pack needs to vastly improve its run game.
29. Baltimore Ravens- Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
30. San Francisco 49ers- Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
- The 49ers look to make their unstoppable defense even better. With the addition of the big Spartan on the line, I doubt they give up a rushing touchdown all season…and playoffs.
31. New England Patriots- Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
32. New York Giants- Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
- With their first and second string TEs injured, this makes perfect sense. I think Fleener will flourish.
Guys you know
Kirk Cousins- 3rd round
Mike Martin- 4th round
Vontaze Burifict- 2nd round
Kellen Moore- 3rd round
Brandon Weeden- 2nd round